Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Dreamer



Born in Joplin, Missouri, James Langston Hughes was the great-great-grandson of Charles Henry Langston (brother of John Mercer Langston, the first Black American to be elected to public office). He attended Central High School in Cleveland, Ohio, where he began writing poetry in the eighth grade. His father would discourage him from pursuing writing as a career, in favour of something 'more practical'. Langston's tuition fees to Columbia University were paid on the grounds that he study engineering. He was a great dreamer, definitely!!! (further information, see http://www.poemhunter.com/langston-hughes/biography/).

One of his most beautiful poems is DREAMER:

I take my dreams
and make of them a bronze vase
And a wide round fountain
with a beautiful statue in its center,
and a song with a broken heart,
and I ask you:
Do you understand my dreams?
Sometimes you say you do
And sometimes you say you don't.
Either way
It doesn't matter.
I continue to dream.

Extra:
Are you a dreamer?
What are your dreams?
Do you believe your dreams can come true? What do you have to do for it?


Posted by Rejane

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rejane! well, I have expectations, I believe it has almost the same meaning of dreams in a more realistic view. I think I can achieve them if I work hard!That's what I've been doing since I was born! My expectations are being a better professional, a good mother and also a better person as time goes by.

    bj
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Elisa. I'm also a dreamer and I have many dreams as well as expectations: being a better professional (as you said), traveling abroad and also for other Brazilian States (I love traveling!!!), studying more, having my own house... and I know for achieving all of them I have to work hard and the most important - believe I can do.

    Hug,
    Rejane

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about it?
Share with us your opinion...