Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Conversation Hour (16/07)

Today I was pleasantly surprised when 5 students showed up for conversation hour! Considering they are currently on July vacation, I think they get extra points for that :).

Today we played "1 truth and 1 lie."
First I gave an example of one truth and one lie about myself. Then I had students ask me questions about my two statements to help them discover which one was true and which one was a lie. I also had them translate my responses which showed me that most of them were getting a good grasp on what I was saying. After asking me a series of questions, they guessed which one was true. I fooled all but one student!

Next, each of them took a few minutes to write their own truth and lie and I walked around to correct any errors. Then, I put them in pairs and had them share their statements, ask each other questions to find out more, and guess which statement was the truth.

After that, they presented their partners statements and shared what questions they asked to help them discover what was true. Most of the students fooled each other which led to a lot of laughter :).

With the extra time we had at the end of class, we played "What's different." In this game students stand in two lines facing each other, so each person has a partner/person right across from them. They take 30 seconds to observe their partner's appearance very closely. Then everyone turns around so that their backs are facing their partners. Everyone has 30 seconds to change something about their appearance (take off glasses, move their ring to a different finger, put their hair down, etc.). Students are also allowed to pass items to others in their line (a watch, a ring, sunglasses, etc.) Then everyone turns around and guesses what is different about their partner. I like this activity because they learn how to say simple phrases that they can use every day.

Some NEW VOCABULARY that came out of class today included:
Are you allowed to dance? - Voce esta permitido dancar?
I was wrong - Eu estava errado.
I made a mistake. - Eu fiz um erro/eu errei.
To raise children - criar criancas
Siblings - irmaos (em ingles nao pode falar "brothers" para significar irmaos e irmas, tem que falar siblings, porque "brothers" quer dizer irmao homem).
He put on glasses - Ele colocou oculos.
She took off her necklace. - Ela tirou o seu colar.
She took off her hair clip - Ela tirou o seu prendador de cabelo.
He tucked his shirt into his pockets - Ele colocou a camisa dele nas bolsas.

Thanks for a great class everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dannielle and Frankie! You've been doing a great job!! Congrats. I'm sure you've been helping a lot!

    beijo
    Elisa

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about it?
Share with us your opinion...