Wednesday, August 28, 2013

American Culture Class (28/8)

Hi folks,

Today we learned about immigration to the United States.

Vocabulary:

Migrant: someone who moves from place to place to find work.

Immigrant: someone who moves to a foreign country to live there permanently.

Refugee: someone who is forced to leave their country because of war, persecution or a natural disaster.

Statue of Liberty: A statue on an island at the entrance of the New York harbor. This statue was given to the United States by France in 1886. It is a symbol of welcome to immigrants.


Ellis Island: An island next to the Statue of Liberty that served as an entry point for immigrants until 1954, and also as a deportation center.



We read a a text about the history of immigration and answered some true or false questions about the text. Next, students worked in partners to review the timeline of immigration history to the United States beginning with colonization. Finally, students were divided into groups of four and each group received a first-person narrative from an immigrant. Each group then presented their immigrant story to the class with a skit. We learned about the experiences of immigrants coming from Russia, Ireland, Mexico and China in different parts of the 19th and 20th centuries.

Key facts:

  • Around 40 million legal immigrants now live in the United States, with 1 million more entering every year legally. 
  • Approximately 11 million illegal immigrants currently live in the United States 
  • 50% of immigrants are Hispanic, and most immigrants live in California. 
  • The United States accepts the most refugees out of any country in the world, with almost 300,000 currently living there. 
  • Before 1880, the United States did not place any restrictions whatsoever on immigration. 




Discussion question:
Most refugees have to leave their homes very quickly and must leave many things behind. If you had to leave your home very quickly and could only take three things with you what would they be? Why?

A maioria de refugiados tem que sair de suas casas rapidamente que tem que deixar muitas coisas. Se você tivesse que deixar a sua casa muito rapidamente, quais são as três coisas que você levaria com você? Porque?

4 comments:

  1. the first thing I would was my bible because it's very important to me.
    The second EWhen my digital camera because when I travel I always take it
    and the third would take my cell phone to communicate with my family.
      (I hope I never go through it hehehe)
    This oficina was very great !! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing I would take my bible, because is my
    consolation, the second thing it would be my cell phone to me to talk with my family, see my family's photos and take pictures.... And after tha last thing that I would take it'd be some DVDs

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first person and not something I would take my son because he is my life.
    The second thing I would worry provisions and clotthing.
    And then, my mobile phone so I could communicate with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would take my mobile phone with me because there are songs that I like and with it I could talk to the people who left. I would take a picture of my family and clothing.
    By Francisca

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about it?
Share with us your opinion...