Thursday, August 22, 2013

Basic English 22/8 (For Language Arts Students)


IN, ON, AT
Prepositions of Place and Time


Prepositions of Place

First I drew the box on the left in the photo and asked students where the X's were. They were in the box, in the corner, at the corner, on the box and on the box (on the wall of the box).

Second, I drew a square to represent Araguaina and put a star in it to represent Beyonce. I asked the students, "Where is Beyonce?" They responded Beyonce is in Araguaina. Then I labeled the street that Beyonce was on and asked them again, "Where is Beyonce." This time they said Beyonce is on Rua Souza Porto. When I added a house number they use the preposition at when answering where Beyonce was. I displayed that in this process they moved from general to specific and through the prepositions in, on and at.

I then had the student provide some examples for me using prepositions of place.

Prepositions of Time

I wrote the year 1990 and asked students when I was born. Each time after they responded I added another detail about when I was born and asked them again when I was born. As the answers become more specific we moved from using in, to on to at. Then the students provided some of their own examples.

Class Activity:

In pairs students wrote the correct preposition/s and then we went over the answers as a class.


Handout:


Blog Homework:

Use this photo as an example. Create an invitation to a party (an imaginary party) in the comments section of this blog. Include the name of the party, the location where it will be taking place, and the time and date. Then write a sentence describing all the details of the party using in, on and at correctly.



Thanks for a great class everyone! See you soon!

1 comment:

What do you think about it?
Share with us your opinion...