Thursday, August 29, 2013

Bible Study 26/8


Be Born In Me (Mary) By Francesca Battistelli



Today class was about Mary, the mother of Jesus. The song we listened to 
(Be Born in Me) was by Francesca Battistelli from the album Music Inspired by the Story.

Check out the song and video here: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ClXvC1HVM

First we learned the new vocabulary. I wrote the words in English, explained them (trying to use only English) and had the students guess what they meant. They did a great job!
















Students then took turns reading a part of the scripture passage.

Scripture passage: Luke 1:26-56 (New International Version)

The Birth of Jesus Foretold
26 In the sixth month of Elizabeth’s pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, 27 to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin’s name was Mary. 28 The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”
29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”
34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”
35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called[a] the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. 37 For no word from God will ever fail.”
38 “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her.

Mary Visits Elizabeth
39 At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, 40 where she entered Zechariah’s home and greeted Elizabeth. 41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”

Mary’s Song
46 And Mary said:
“My soul glorifies the Lord
47     and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has been mindful
    of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
49     for the Mighty One has done great things for me—
    holy is his name.
50 His mercy extends to those who fear him,
    from generation to generation.
51 He has performed mighty deeds with his arm;
    he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
52 He has brought down rulers from their thrones
    but has lifted up the humble.
53 He has filled the hungry with good things
    but has sent the rich away empty.
54 He has helped his servant Israel,
    remembering to be merciful
55 to Abraham and his descendants forever,
    just as he promised our ancestors.”
56 Mary stayed with Elizabeth for about three months and then returned home.

After reading and translating the Bible passage, we listened to the song a few times and students filled in the blanks.


Be Born In Me (Mary) Lyrics
Artist: Francesca Battistelli

Everything inside me ________ for order
Everything inside me ________ to hide
Is this shadow an angel or a warrior?
If God is pleased with me, why I am I so terrified?
Someone tell me I am only dreaming
Somehow help me _______ with Heaven’s eyes
And before my head agrees, my heart is on its knees
Holy is He. Blessed am I.

Be _______ in me, be _________ in me
Trembling heart, somehow I believe that You ________ me
I’ll hold you in the beginning, You will hold me in the ________
Every moment in the middle, make my heart your Bethlehem
Be born in me

All this time we’ve waited for the promise
All this time You’ve __________ for my arms
Did You wrap yourself inside the unexpected
So we might know that _______ would go that far?

Be _________ in me, be ________ in me
Trembling heart, somehow I believe that You _________ me
I’ll hold you in the ___________, You will hold me in the end
Every moment in the middle, make my heart your Bethlehem
Be born in me

I am not brave
I’ll _______ be
The only thing my heart can offer is a vacancy
I’m just _____________
Nothing more
But I am willing, I am _________
Be _________ in me, be ________ in me
I’ll hold you in the ___________, You will hold me in the end
Every moment in the middle, make my heart your Bethlehem
Be born in me



The Blanks:


After they filled in the blanks, we read through the song together to fill in any missing spaces. Finally students sang the song together as we listened one last time.






Homework Assignment: 

Use the new vocabulary to write a short paragraph in the comments section below. The paragraph may be about Mary or anything else! Please write at least 3 sentences. Thank you for a great class!!



1 comment:

  1. God has promised us eternal life. And we were all favored by the sacrifice of his son Jesus.
    We should all hold in God's hands and hide the ways of the evil that frightens us.
    For those who are brave they scatters the word of God.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think about it?
Share with us your opinion...