Friday, August 2, 2013

Bible Study 29/07

The topic of Bible Study this week was the song "No Compromise (Daniel)" sung by Peter Fuller

We began class by reading Daniel chapter 6. The students took turns reading paragraphs outloud and I helped them with their pronunciation. After each paragraph we paused and they helped me translate it to make sure that everyone understood.

Then we listened to the song a few times, and students filled in the blanks. I always try to make the blanks words that the students are familiar with.

The Handout:
Various Artists - No Compromise (Daniel) Lyrics
[Performed by Peter Furler] Throw me in the ring, toss me to the flames
No one but My King _________ me out
unscathed
Feed me to the _________,
throw away the key
How will they
deny who delivers me?
How could I love another?
My knees bow only to ______ ________
My lips have ______ _______ to
proclaim
I will lift
none other high
This is my one heart’s ________
No
compromise. No compromise.

Let them keep their gold, I won’t
be seduced
Can’t be bought or sold, I am rich in You
How could I serve another?
My knees bow only to ______ ________
My lips have ______ _______ to
proclaim
I will lift
none other high
This is my one heart’s ________
No
compromise. No compromise.

Kingdoms
crumble, rulers _________
My God, You will
out rule them _______
One King. One cry.
With ________ voice. No
compromise

Vocabulary
Throw me in the ring: a roda (onde tem alguma luta)
To toss me to the flames: me jogar no fogo
Unscathed: unharmed, uninjured (ileso)
To throw away: jogar fora
To deny: negar
To deliver: to free (libertar), to save (salvar)
My knees bow: eu me ajoelho
To proclaim: proclamar
None other: nenhum outro
Be seduced: estar seduzido
A Compromise: transigência, harmonização
To crumble: esmigalhar, desmoronar
Out rule them all”: reinar melhor que todos

We also discussed the new vocabulary word "compromise" more in depth and students shared their own examples of compromises in their lives. We used the following material to talk about compromises:

A Compromise:
an agreement reached by adjustment of conflicting or opposing claims, principles, etc.,”
something intermediate between different things”
“an endangering, especially of reputation; exposure to danger, suspicion, etc.: a compromise of one's integrity.”
(Dictionary.com)

Examples of Compromises:
·        - If Daniel had stopped praying to his God because the King told him to, he would have compromised his beliefs. He would have made a compromise. But he did not make a compromise. He continued to pray.

·        - If Shadrach, Meshach and Abendego had bowed down to the statue that they king had built, they would have compromised their beliefs. They believed that they should only bow down to their God so if they went against their beliefs, they would have been compromising.

·         -The husband and wife disagreed about what to eat for dinner and dessert, so they compromised. The wife chose what to have for dinner and the husband chose what to have for dessert.

·         -My brother wanted to stay out with his friends until midnight, and though my mom wanted him to come home at 10, she compromised and let him stay out until 11pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about it?
Share with us your opinion...